Thursday, November 28, 2013

Freedom II: The Internal Dimension

Welcome friends!

I think I’ll go ahead and talk a little bit this time about what I’m calling the internal dimension of freedom.  Now I’m sure there are all sorts of philosophical and psychological aspects to the subject but today I’d like to just talk about one rather mundane aspect: the issue of one’s material needs and desires and how they affect one’s internal perception of freedom.  I know what you’re thinking.  Oh, that again?  Well, yes.  I probably mentioned before that I spent more years than I care to remember studying the dismal science (that would be economics) so these sorts of issues always seem to be in the back of my mind somewhere.  Anyway, when it comes to one’s personal freedom I think this particular aspect is fairly significant and there are some interesting issues to think about, so why not?

So what am I thinking about when I say the internal dimension of freedom as it relates to one’s material needs and desires?  Well, it seems to me that one important component of freedom is whether one is or perhaps more accurately perceives oneself to be restricted to engaging in certain activities because of material considerations... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!