Thursday, December 12, 2013

Merry Christmas 2013: Holier Than Thou

Welcome friends!

Looks like this might be my last scheduled post before the Yuletide holiday, always a rather enjoyable time of year I think, at least if you can get out of the shops for a few minutes to actually enjoy it.  Unfortunately in addition to the seemingly ever increasing and unpleasant venal aspect our modern holiday also has the prominent Christian religious accretion that always gives me mixed feelings.  (Accretion?  You do realize there’s apparently no evidence that Jesus was born on December 25 right?  It’s what one might call a birthday of convenience most likely originally designed to put a Christian stamp on earlier celebrations designed no doubt to help people get through the dark days of the winter solstice but I’m sure similarly couched in various types of contemporary mumbo jumbo.)  You know, I’m not really celebrating a Christian religious rite over here and I must say it does annoy me just a little when other people interpret things that way.  I mean, it’s fine if that’s what you want to do, knock yourself out, but I’m celebrating a secular holiday despite it’s popular name (or one of its popular names anyway).  On the other hand, I don’t mean to suggest that I have some particular dislike for the Christian religion.  Oh heck, let me talk it through... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!