Thursday, August 2, 2012

Guns Guns Guns

Welcome friends!

I was thinking a bit about guns this week because of the recent psycho killer shooting spree that’s been all over the news.  (In case you’ve been on vacation or whatever, this most recent case involved some heavily armed lunatic shooting up a bunch of young people at a movie theater, killing an appalling number and wounding even more.)  I guess it’s not really all that unusual these days, at least here in the US, but seems like a good excuse to talk a bit about gun policy.  All of which obviously means I disagree with those people who feel it’s inappropriate to talk about gun policy in the wake of these types of incidents.  In my opinion this is exactly when we should be talking about it: when we see the consequences of our current policy and are actually thinking about it for a change.  Anyway, since these incidents seem to happen with some regularity nowadays I’m not sure when we’d really have a chance to discuss the issue if we waited a few weeks after every such incident.

There seem to me to be two interrelated issues that relate to gun policy in this country and I think we would be wise to at least try to keep them conceptually distinct to whatever extent possible.  These issues are: 1) The constitutional issue.  2) The policy issue... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!