Thursday, August 30, 2012

Abortion II: The Todd Akin Phenomenon

Welcome friends!

I wasn’t really planning on doing another post on abortion so soon after my recent opening salvo on the subject (June 5, 2012), but I just can’t seem to get the recent statements by Todd Akin out of my head.  If you recall, Mr. Akin is the Republican Representative and now candidate for the US Senate for the state of Missouri who was all over the papers a couple of weeks ago for making a statement to the effect that women who are raped rarely need abortions because according to Mr. Akin’s understanding “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

Much of the commentary in the press on this remarkable statement has focused on the distinction Mr. Akin was apparently attempting to make between “legitimate” rape and some other presumably less than entirely legitimate form of rape... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!