Thursday, April 16, 2015

Mandatory Voting

Welcome Friends!

Hey, want to hear a really bad idea?  Mandatory voting!  No, I’m not joking at all.  People really suggest this sort of thing now and again and I don’t mean just in places like North Korea and Iran.  Indeed, I was just reading an article about a proposal along those lines from some group in the UK and that’s just getting a little too close for comfort for me.  Well, not that close.  But still, it does raise some concerns.  Let’s talk about it.

According to the article I was reading a centre-left (that’s center-left to me and you) “think tank” in the UK, the Institute for Public Policy Research, recommended a version of mandatory voting recently.  They suggested we accost young people when they turn eighteen years old and drag them to a voting booth so we can “kick start the habit of a lifetime.”  (No, not the habit of us accosting young people.  Young people voting.)  Why is everyone always picking on young people you ask... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!