Thursday, May 15, 2014

American Intolerance for Religious Display and Intolerance

Welcome friends!

I had a different post all lined up for today but I looked at a paper a few days ago and I think I really need to say a few words about the recent US Supreme Court ruling in which the conservative caucus determined that having (Christian) prayer sessions before government functions is consistent with the US Constitution.  I found that a bit disappointing for reasons I’ll explain shortly, but then I happened to notice a little opinion piece by professional conservative bloviator George Will entitled American Intolerance for Religious Display that really pushed me over the edge.  No, I didn’t actually read the piece.  Really, there was no need.  Just the title is sufficient.  You see, I’ve heard it all before.  Multiple times.  I’m quite sure it must have involved this theory that conservative pundits have been pushing the past several years to the effect that unless they are able to spout off about their religious beliefs whenever and wherever they see fit then everyone else is being intolerant and not respecting their rights.  I wrote something about this theory previously.  (See my post for September 20, 2013.)  It’s kind of weird that they come out with this stuff even when things go their way but that’s the funny thing about conservatives: most of what they say is more in the nature of political theater than serious conversation so what they want to talk about and what is germane to any given issue are generally two entirely different things.

Anyway, let me first explain why I don’t much care for the Supreme Court ruling in the off chance that it’s not already entirely obvious to anyone reading my blog... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!