Friday, September 2, 2011

War

Welcome friends!

I thought I’d go ahead and do a post on war this time.  I’ve been putting it off because I suppose my thoughts on the subject are actually pretty limited.  (What?  It’s never stopped me before?  Thanks a lot, smarty.)  OK, well, to get the ball rolling let me just say at the outset that like most Americans I really don’t like war.  From what I know, I think General Sherman pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said, “War is hell.”  It seems to me to be an ugly business that ends up brutalizing everyone involved.  Basically, it represents the failure of everything that is good about humanity and as such it’s something that one should only do when one has exhausted every other possible means to solve a problem that absolutely must be solved.  So it should come as no surprise when I say that I think the legitimate reasons for going to war are very limited indeed.  (OK, I haven’t actually thought that part out; but, anyway, they’re very limited, I’m sure about that.)  I think most debates about war in this country come down to cases in which some people feel that some situation or other is one of those dire cases in which war is absolutely necessary and other people disagree.  The debate may at times be carried out in more general terms involving war as an abstract concept, but I think that is more of a rhetorical flourish than anything else.  In our hearts, I think pretty much everyone realizes that we cannot always avoid war, no matter how much we would like to... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!