Friday, July 7, 2017

What I Liked About Conservatives Of Yore

Welcome friends!

I’ve been so disappointed at the appalling performance to date of our new Republican administration and congress as well as their astonishingly low personal characters and near total absence of civic virtues that I find I’m beginning to develop a really rather pronounced distaste for the American conservatives mostly in the southern and central parts of the nation who installed them in office and who appear to believe they’ve been doing one hell of a good job thus far.  Of course, when I started this blog a number of years ago I mentioned my distaste for conservatives but at that time my dislike was tempered to some degree by what I perceived as the considerable overlap of conservative and liberal values. I considered many conservatives to be basically well meaning people who were perhaps just not thinking things through very carefully or who were possibly susceptible to being purposefully misled by wily rhetoricians and ideologues.  However, after observing the tenor of the social conservation since the advent of President Trump I must say I’m no longer sure I really believe that to be the case.  The conservative in the street now seems to be much more suspicious of democratic government, the free press, and the separation of church and state and much more accepting of authoritarianism and corruption in government than I think I ever really understood  before now.  They seem to also place much less significance on truthfulness, reliability, knowledge, competence, consistency, transparency, civilized discourse, and the basic attributes of what I would consider good personal character than I previously supposed.  To make a long story short the three headed monster of conservatism appears to me considerably more monstrous than formerly.  As a remedy to my rising feelings of hatred and disgust for this very ubiquitous segment of the American population I thought I might take a moment this week to try to remember some of the good things about my rapidly vanishing former foes the well intentioned, principled, and mannered conservatives of my youth... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!