Wednesday, September 21, 2016

The Government Made Me Do It

Welcome friends!

I read an interesting article the other day about what I think must be one of the central mysteries of our time.  Why are undereducated underemployed economically struggling older rural while people so attracted to spoiled self-obsessed fabulously wealthy jet setting big city liar and all around shyster Donald Trump?  Talk about your strange bedfellows.  I know a lot has been made of Trump’s efforts to tap into every low sentiment one can find in small town America: racism, nationalism, nativism, religious intolerance, misogyny, hatred of sexual minorities, and so on.  I get that part.  He has clearly tapped into a previously unused political resource.  But it’s not like he’s some kind of political genius.  We all knew such deploring sentiments were out there.  It’s just that no one else was sufficiently disreputable to go there.  But is there something else this segment of conservatives finds appealing about the man?  Something a bit more positive perhaps?  Something people who don’t live in Oklahoma or Texas or other such places might hope to understand?  Well, much to my surprise I’m starting to think there may be.

The article I was reading discussed an apparently common attitude among such people that the US government is the source of all that ails them.  Yes indeed.  They don’t attribute their financial difficulties on anything you and I might think about: technology, industrial organization, trade, demand, unemployment, commodity bubbles, and so on... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!