Thursday, April 7, 2016

Texas Stupid

Welcome friends!

I wonder why the state of Texas, that sprawling stronghold of conservatism and Republicanism sitting on the southern border of the USA, is so unrelentingly .... you know ... stupid.  Is it the heat?  The humidity?  Are mosquitoes spreading some unknown virus?  Has the Gulf become contaminated with a rare mind numbing algae?  I know one can find stupid people everywhere.  But whenever I read a story about truly monumental institutionalized officially sanctioned knock me down with a feather stupidity it always seems to involve Texas.  It’s weird.  I’m starting to think there’s stupid and then there’s Texas stupid.  Is it all in my imagination?  Is Texas no different from anywhere else?  You decide.

What set me off this time was a little article I read recently about what I’m sure must be a nice little old lady from Texas, sixty-eight year old former schoolteacher Mary Lou Bruner, who is the leading candidate for a seat on the Texas Board of Education.  Yes, that would be the official body that approves textbooks for Texas public schools.  She doesn’t have the post yet.  The race was close enough last time around she still needs to compete in a runoff election this May but she almost prevailed in the first round and is the leading contender and expected to clinch the deal come May.  Ms. Bruner is noteworthy because she has expressed some ideas that are ... well ... interesting... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!