Thursday, November 5, 2015

Yesterday’s Tomorrowland

Welcome friends!

I was watching some cinematic fluff the other day about a genius (of course) karate (of course) girl (bet you didn’t see that one coming!) who travels to the future (of course) with George Clooney (why not?) to save the world (of course) and I found that rather than daydreaming as I normally would under such circumstances I became vaguely annoyed.  Of course, I don’t particularly mind becoming vaguely annoyed over this sort of cultural artifact because it gives me a reason to sit down and think through what set me off.  After a few minutes of rather lackluster cogitation I determined in this case it was probably the awkward mishmash of two competing views of human society and history that rubbed me the wrong way.  Well, that and the fact that the more prominent of the two I consider ancient hogwash.  Let’s talk it through.

As I mentioned previously we start out with the tiresome trope of the Genius Child.  Just that alone sets me a little on edge... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!