Friday, May 27, 2011

Gay Marriage

Welcome friends!

I suppose I wouldn’t be much of a liberal if I never got around to addressing that most contentious and momentous of contemporary ethical issues: gay marriage.  (That was only partially facetious, by the way.)  The problem I’ve been having with this topic is that I don’t feel there’s really all that much to talk about.  This issue seems to be about how one feels about the liberal meta-ethic that suggests that regardless of one’s values one should allow other people to do what they want unless their actions significantly impinge on the welfare of other people, and I’ve already discussed that idea in a number of other posts.  However, for whatever it’s worth, here’s my take on the subject.

This is one of those issues that I think is very difficult to understand outside its historical context.  In this case, the original issue was about what, if anything, we should do about other people’s sexuality...  Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!