Friday, December 3, 2010

The Problem of Islam

Welcome friends!
I guess I’ve been on a liberal kick the last few posts and have been neglecting the humanist side, so maybe this time we can talk a little bit about the problem of Islam.  Oh, don’t get me wrong now.  I’m no expert on theology, but as a liberal humanist atheist, I personally doubt there’s anything wrong with Islam that isn’t equally wrong with any of the other religions that have come out of the Middle East.  So I suppose I should really be talking about the problem of Middle Eastern religions in general.  It’s just that Islam seems to have all the typical problems of these religions in spades so I think it’s reasonable to take it up as a sort of special example.  (It may well be that religions from other regions of the world are just as prone to these problems as religions from the Middle East but I’m less familiar with them so I’d like to just set them aside for now.  In the following if I speak about religion in the abstract I mean the major world religions that have originated in the Middle East: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.) ... Sorry but only selected archived (previous year) posts are currently available full text on this website.  All posts including this one are available in my annual anthology ebook series available at the Amazon Kindle Bookstore for a nominal fee.  Hey, we all need to make a buck somehow, right?  If you find my timeless jewels of wisdom amusing or perhaps even amusingly irritating throw me a bone now and then.  Thank you my friends!